- Call for latest version available
- Windows or Mac OS versions
- Disk: ZIP, JAZ, 3.5" Floppy, or CD
- Send all Adobe InDesign documents, images, and fonts
Remember: If we are missing anything, this may delay your
Step 1: Document Size
File > Document Setup...
Adjust your document to one of the following sizes:
- Postcards = 6" x 4", 6" x 8"
- Catalog Sheets = 8.5" x 11"
- Folded Brochures = See folding setups on prepress references page
- Rack Brochures = 4" x 9", 8" x 9" (folds to 4" x 9")
- Posters = 11" x 17", 18" x 24"
- Catalogs = 8.5" x 11", 5.5" x 8.5", 4" x 9"
IN THE ZONE
- Safe Zone = 1/8" margin from the edge of the page
- Danger Zone = Area outside the 1/8" margin
- Bleed = 1/8" past the edge of the page
If you intend to have an image completely cover a front or back side of
your document, then you need to be sure that the image extends (bleeds) at
least 1/8" over the edge of the page. Do not end it at page edge (trim) or
white will show on the edges.
Step 2: Images
File > Document Info > Linked Images
- All images are CMYK color mode
- Tiff or an EPS (Do Not send Jpegs, Picts, Gifs, etc.)
- 300 dpi resolution (or 1,200 dpi for b/w line art)
- Submit all images (Verify current link status)
If you scale the image after importing it into InDesign, the effective
resolution will change. If you scaled the image up to 200% in InDesign,
then the final resolution will be 150 dpi and considered low resolution.
Confirm the status of all linked images before you submit your files. No
image link status should display "Modified" or "Missing".
Step 3: Color
Window > Show Color
- Fill colors used in InDesign are CMYK
- Stroke colors used in InDesign are CMYK
- Gradient colors used in InDesign are CMYK
There is a color-shift when converting from RGB to CMYK. Do not trust the
colors on your monitor. We recommend that you proof your job at a local
service bureau and get a calibrated color proof (Iris or Dupont
Step 4: Fonts
Type > Create Outlines
- Submit all fonts used in layout as a backup
CONVERTING FONTS TO OUTLINES
When submitting an InDesign Document you may convert the fonts to
outlines. All fonts will now be considered vector art. If you do not
convert your fonts to outlines, be sure to send all fonts used in your
Step 5: Save As
File > Save As
1) Select InDesign Format (default)
2) Click OK
File > Package
1) File > Package
2) Select Copy Fonts, Copy Linked Graphics, Update Linked Graphics,
and Links from Hidden Layers
3) Name Folder
4) Click OK
Step 6: Submit Files
Call your Sales Representative to verify files are ready to send by disk
Fill out the Job Information Form carefully
Mail or FTP the files along with a current mock-up to U.S. Press
Remember: if we are missing anything, this may delay your order.