- Call for latest version available
- Windows or Mac OS versions
- Disk: ZIP, JAZ, 3.5" Floppy, or CD
- Send all Adobe Illustrator documents, images, and fonts
Remember: If we are missing anything, this may delay your
Step 1: Document Size
File > Document Setup...
Adjust your document to one of the following sizes:
- Business Postcards = 6" x 4", 6" x 8"
- Catalog Sheets = 8.5" x 11"
- Folded Brochures = See folding setups on prepress references page
- Rack Brochures = 4" x 9", 8" x 9" (folds to 4" x 9")
- Posters = 11" x 17", 18" x 24"
- Catalogs = 8.5" x 11", 5.5" x 8.5", 4" x 9"
IN THE ZONE
- Safe Zone = 1/8" margin from the edge of the page
- Danger Zone = Area outside the 1/8" margin
- Bleed = 1/8" past the edge of the page
If you intend to have an image completely cover a front or back side of
your document, then you need to be sure that the image extends (bleeds) at
least 1/8" over the edge of the page. Do not end it at page edge (trim) or
white will show on the edges.
Step 2: Images
File > Document Info > Linked Images
- All images are CMYK color mode
- Tiff or an EPS (Do Not send Jpegs, Picts, Gifs, etc.)
- 300 dpi resolution (or 1,200 dpi for b/w line art)
- Submit all images (Verify current link status)
If you scale the image after importing it into Illustrator, the effective
resolution will change. If you scaled the image up to 200% in Illustrator,
then the final resolution will be 150 dpi and considered low resolution.
Confirm the status of all linked images before you submit your files. No
image link status should display "Modified" or "Missing".
Step 3: Color
Window > Show Color
- Fill colors used in Illustrator are CMYK
- Stroke colors used in Illustrator are CMYK
- Gradient colors used in Illustrator are CMYK
There is a color-shift when converting from RGB to CMYK. Do not trust the
colors on your monitor. We recommend that you proof your job at a local
service bureau and get a calibrated color proof (Iris or Dupont
Step 4: Fonts
Type > Create Outlines
- Submit all fonts used in layout as a backup
CONVERTING FONTS TO OUTLINES
When submitting an Illustrator Document you may convert the fonts to
outlines. All fonts will now be considered vector art. If you do not
convert your fonts to outlines, be sure to send all fonts used in your
Step 5: Save As
File > Save As
Illustrator AI Format
1) Select Illustrator AI Format (default)
2) Click Save AI Format
3) Click OK
File > Save As EPS
Illustrator EPS Format
Click Save EPS Format
1) Set Compatibility
2) Select 8-bit IBM PC or Macintosh
3) Select Include Placed Files, Document Thumbnails, Document Fonts, CMYK
4) PostScript Level 2
5) Click OK
Step 6: Submit Files
Call your Sales Representative to verify files are ready to send by disk
Fill out the Job Information Form carefully
Mail or FTP the files along with a current mock-up to U.S. Press
Remember: if we are missing anything, this may delay your order.